Please people, the book THEN the movie.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Here are some books I recommend you add to your reading list, because it would be a crime to see the upcoming movie versions prior to reading the book:

The Help was my favorite book of the last few years, and probably one of my top ten books of all time.  I plan to re-read it before the movie comes out.  (My friend Lisa says it's a "modern classic", and she's brilliant and an English teacher so I believe her.)  My friend Tina blogged about it here.

While viewing The King's Speech (highly recommend!) my friend Cheri and I saw the preview for Jane Eyre and immediately decided we would read the the book then see the movie together.  Talks are still ongoing as to whether the males in our lives can be charmed into attending the movie with us.

I would also like to take this time to confess that if you saw the terrible movie The Kite Runner but did not read the magnificent book, I have judged you harshly.  Apologies.

Blogger Stephanie had this to say:

I read The Help last year. I didn't know they were making a movie! I enjoyed the book, so hopefully the movie will be good. I agree - read the book & then see the movie!

February 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Jane Eyre was one of my favorite books in high school. If they make the movie true to the book I think even the men will like it. (I'll have you know I erased an entired sentence I wrote here, even though it was so very witty, because it would have spoiled the plot for you and if you've never read the book, I would hate to do that. I'm such a good literary friend.)

The BBC version of Jane Eyre is quite good and is (or was) available for streaming live on Netflix...when you finish the book, of course.

On another note: your post reminded me of this old post from the Stuff White People Like Blog:

LOL!!!

February 23, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Daja - That link is HILARIOUS and so true! I love it. When The Lord of the Rings came out my husband and I went onto reading frenzy trying to get the complete series of books read before the first movie opened. Ha! This quote cracked me up:
"... more importantly, once a book has been made into a movie, a white person can no longer read that book. To have read the book after the movie is one of the great crimes in white culture, and under no circumstances should you ever admit to doing this." That's some truth right there. :)

February 23, 2011 at 8:07 AM

LOL! That stuff makes me laugh every time!

February 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Blogger Tina had this to say:

2nd that: read The Help before you see the movie. And sorry for making you sin, friend. Though I did feel the story was powerful even in movie form. Sorry if that made you sin again! :)

February 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Blogger Stephen Cliff had this to say:

Our English teacher in High school coerced us into reading Jane Eyre... puke....

February 28, 2011 at 6:21 PM

GASP!!! I'm just going to close my ears to that atrocious statement. I love it most earnestly. (Was that declaration of love Jane Eyre-ish enough that the intent wasn't lost?)

February 28, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Blogger Stephen Cliff had this to say:

Hah. To be quite honest, I only remember two things about reading that book. First, conspiring to accuse our english teacher as a sexist for making us read such a thing. Second, how none of us guys could get any of the girls to like us for that semester because, "You just aren't Mr. Rochester".

February 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Blogger Vanessa had this to say:

I just started reading The Help and I love it already!

March 8, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I have never read Jane Eyre! I also saw the preview the other day, and thought I should read that one. Might I add one more to your list? The Time Traveler's Wife. I love that one too, and the movie is good, but the book is brilliant.

March 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM