Self: You are convincing. But don't believe you.
Thursday, March 18, 2010

This the the conversation I have with myself once every four or five months:

A cup of coffee this fine evening sure would be nice.  Jonathan's not home...the kids are in bed....it would be ever so lovely to sit and enjoy this television programming with a hot cup of coffee.

[Walks happily to kitchen.  Lovingly gets out the french press and coffee grinder.]

Hmm....out of  decaf.  Okay.  Better not have any.  It's after 8:00 and it might keep me awake.

But then again..... [conversation with self takes a nasty turn at this point]

"Self, in college you drank pots and pots of coffee!  And still managed to drift off to dreamland the minute your head hit the pillow!  Self - don't you remember!?!  Caffeine had NO effect on you!  If you could drink a whole pot at 22, surely you can drink one cup at 32, right?  Right? Right?!?  Come on!  Just do it."

And then I stupidly agree with self, and just to prove to self my infinite trust in her, I drink not one, but two cups of coffee.

Then I lay awake at 4:00am cursing self for being so presumptuous.

Oh the things you think about from midnight to 4:00am.

I quiz myself, seeing if I can remember the names of all my Elementary School teachers.  (RichardsonHooperMendenhallAndersonStephensMcAlister.  I can.)

I try and remember every address I've ever had.  (Can't.)

I try and remember my first private phone number.  (245-1500.  Can.)

I try to pray for everyone I love, but oh my is the caffeine is making it difficult to concentrate.  (Sorta can.)

I think about waking up Jonathan to discuss politics.  (Don't.  But find it difficult to resist.)

I try to figure out the plot to LOST.  (Can't.  Get mad at self for continuing to watch that show.)

After a long night of tossing and turning and mind racing, I promise self that I will not listen to self again when it comes to coffee consumption.

But self can be so darn convincing.

coffee bean photo via refracted moments on flickr

Blogger Lori had this to say:

I am thinking it is a good thing I don't like that stuff. But I must say it sure does smell good.

March 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Blogger StephCliff had this to say:

I agree about watching Lost. I'm so glad this is the last season - I just want it to be over already. It's just too much! Oh & if they advertise "The time for questions is over" one more time, I think I'll scream. I still have plenty of questions, thank you very much! :)

March 18, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Anonymous jonathan had this to say:

For the record, you don't turn 32 until March 28th. You're just 31.

March 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM

OpenID vanebrown had this to say:

I'm in the same boat ... could drink coffee whenever I wanted. Not so much anymore. :(

March 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Thank goodness it wasn't, say, vodka that u downed by the gallon in college

cheri

March 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Anonymous Sara had this to say:

Good thing you can drink another cup or two this morning to help you stay awake today after a night like that. :)

March 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Herbal tea next time?

:-)

March 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM

I love it when you post something that is exactly what I'm thinking. There are totally a million reasons why you're my favorite, the comedy of this blog being one of them. (By the way, I'd tell you to just take one of Jonathan's Amdiens, but I recall what those do to you, And I have audio evidence I'm still holding hostage.)

March 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Oh, and by the way, the LARGE cup of coffee I had on the coffee date I mentioned in my blog I JUST wrote? That's why I'm up at 2am. We could be the same stupid girl.

March 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Did I spell Amdien right? Or is it Ambien? Why can't I ever remember that one?

March 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Blogger Geela had this to say:

That was FACINATING!!! I love how you write. It's so spunky and cool. I wanna be like you when I grow up!

March 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM