A Unique History
Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My hometown, Sand Springs, OK, has an inspring history.

In 1915 the New York Times ran an article on Charles Page, our town's founder. I encourage you to read the endearing full story by clicking here. Here's the headline:

In addition to building a community for widows, Charles Page built an orphanage that he called the Sand Springs Home. According to stories told by the "Home kids", it was a great place to grow up, with "Daddy Page" ensuring the childrens' needs and wants were taken care of.

Charles Page passed away in 1926, long before my Grandfather and Great-Aunt went to live at The Home.

I'm thankful that my beloved hometown is a place with a story. I'm thankful that my family history ties me to this piece of the earth in a special way. I'm proud that Sand Springs has it's very roots in caring for "the least of these." That scripture, from Matthew 25:40, is inscribed on the base of the statue of Charles Page that sits in the triangle in the center of town. I'm thankful that I saw it with fresh eyes this Thanksgiving.

The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the
least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Matthew 25:40

Images of The Sand Springs Home.

Anonymous Marylne had this to say:

I agree....

November 24, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Thank you so much, Starr, for posting this. You know, in all the years I spent there, I never became attached to that town. To be honest, it never really felt like "home" to me and I never looked back when I left for college. So, I find it quite interesting that we're STRONGLY considering settling there next year. There's just something special about it, and after reading your post (and the article) I have a much better understanding of why that is. Thanks.

November 24, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Blogger The Gobble's (Lanetta) had this to say:

you know the reasons why I so enjoyed this post.. awesome.. I had no idea.. thanks for sharing about "home"..
Love ya.. have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

November 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Blogger Lori had this to say:

Love this post!! Thank you for posting it.

November 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Blogger Jason and Erin had this to say:

Thank you for this. I'm proud that my great-grandfather did all the paintings and interior design in the Sand Springs Home.

November 29, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

What a great entry! I was talking with someone the other day that everyone in H.S. was talking about how they "couldn't wait to get out of this town". Now most of them have either never left or have moved back. :)

December 3, 2009 at 4:56 PM