I choose to interpret it as stunned excitement.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009

You should really see the look on my husband's face when he sees canned salmon in the pantry.

Time freezes as he just stands and stares at it. He's thinking of the time that is coming in the near future when he will be eating my wonderful salmon patties for dinner.

He just stares at me....takes a deep breath...and remains perfectly silent....

I suppose this reaction could mean that he's less than thrilled.

I choose to believe he's just so darn excited he's rendered speechless!

Make fun of me all you want, but I am the rare creature that loves fish cakes. Take some fish that's been processed and smashed into a can, pick out a few of the bigger fish bones, add some mayo, bread crumbs, shredded cheese and green onion....that's a great meal right there. A side dish of frozen mixed vegetables and it's a meal that any wife (or cafeteria worker) should be proud to serve.

Now that I've found this site, my fish cake possibilities are limitless!

Honestly...I really do love salmon patties. I fear you will think I'm being sarcastic. Sadly, I'm not.

OpenID jonathancliff had this to say:

***stunned silence***

February 24, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Anonymous Holly James had this to say:

I just wanted to let you know that I grew up on salmon patties myself. However, my mother had a tendency not to pull out the bigger bones, go figure. So I, along with Starr, enjoy these. Sorry men, I love them. I however, like them with ketchup.

February 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Blogger Geela had this to say:

Methinks you are an awesome mom. My mother hates the smell of fish so she rarely cooks it. I, however, love fish! Mr. Cliff needs to learn to be appreciative. Hey, if you need a recipe for home-made tartar sauce, that is a specialty of mine. Even my sisters Elizabeth and Anna eat it! (Esther will eat anything.) Have a God-blessed day!

February 24, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I like fish cakes, too! We eat them fairly often. I finely chop up lots of onions, add lots of pepper, maybe some celery and mushrooms, use an egg to bind it all together and fry it in a little oil. Very tasty. Actually the kids really like it, believe it or not!

February 24, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Blogger The Gobble's (Lanetta) had this to say:

oh Starr.. that is just gross!! Poor Jonathan and kids..
:-)

February 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Blogger Shelly Collins had this to say:

I loved that meal growing up. We always had mac and cheese with the patties. A perfect combo, you should try it.

February 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Blogger Jesse had this to say:

salmon cakes are awesome!!

February 25, 2009 at 1:00 AM

I really love them too. Try making them with potato flakes instead of bread crumbs! Yummy!!! :-) I think I'll have to make them this week sometime!

February 25, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Blogger Amy Gabbard had this to say:

I grew up on these too. Ketchup being the preferred side. I have not made these in my adult years of being married due to Tim not being a Seafood fan and his hate for canned sea food. I also love Tuna Salad. I have to make it when Tim goes out of town because the smell gets to him. I am a southern girl who loves canned sea food too.

February 25, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Blogger StephCliff had this to say:

Hmm... I think I have to take Jonathan's side on this one! I don't think I've ever had a salmon cake or any kind of fish cake, but I'm ok with that. :) I do have my weird food habits, though. I can eat plain rice as a meal any day - ha!

February 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Blogger Vanessa had this to say:

My mom used to make tuna patties for us growing up. I'll need to ask her for the recipe - I loved them and had forgotten about them. I am sure my hubby will be thrilled when I serve this meal up next week.

February 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Anonymous Granny had this to say:

Of course Starr would love salmon patties..I do, her grandmother does..even her brother, grandfather, and uncle do. What's up with you Cliff men?

February 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Blogger Foresterclan had this to say:

First of all I must say that I am AMAZED at the number of comments this pot recieved.

Second - I have to confess that I too ate samon patties aka cakes as a child. Every other Wedensday as a matter of fact. When my friend would pick me up for church, she could always tell if it had been Samon patty night.

However - this is not a recipe that I have added to my collection. Seeing that I don't like fish. It is good to know that there are other mom's out there who are carrying on the tradition.

March 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM