My cold heart is slowly melting.
Saturday, January 24, 2009

I am not an animal person.

There, I said it.

My feelings toward dogs are best described as neutral. I don't love them...don't hate them...but I am quite content to live a dog-free existence. (No dog hair on my clothes and furniture, no dog hair to vacuum up, no vet bills, and no dog poo in my back yard – all huge positives in my thinking.) My feelings toward cats are stronger. I strongly dislike them. Every cat I encounter seems to instantly know I don't take well to their kind, and they immediately come and weave their creepy bodies in and out of my ankles. Shudder.

My husband, on the other hand, is what is known as a "dog person." Loves the critters. Never met a dog he doesn't like. He likes cats too, but luckily he's highly allergic. Whew.

Now that we're good and settled into our new house with a big, fenced back yard, I have accepted that the time is coming when I will have to relent and agree to get a pooping machine dog.

Several things have happened in the past month that lead me to believe the universe is conspiring to prepare me for imminent dog-ownership.

1. I read, and was totally emotionally invested in, the book Marley and Me.
  2. I have become obsessed with the show Dog Whisperer. Intriguing. The National Geographic Channel seems to be constantly airing that program and I watch it all the time.
  3. My father in law emailed this heart-wrenching dog ownership story last week and it actually made me a little teary-eyed.

Add to all that, that I am coming around to Jonathan’s belief that the kids need a dog to grow up with. (Dylan is already a little dog lover; his favorite part of visiting some of our friends houses is playing with their dogs.)

I’m sure our loved ones will start crying “NOT IT! NOT IT!” as soon as we get a dog, as we have somewhat of a tract record of giving away our pets to gullible willing family members. My grandma adopted poodle Gracie when we went to Bible school (no dogs allowed), and my sister in law took mutt Zach when we moved to Lubbock and planned to live in an apartment. I vow that when and if we do get a new pet, we will strive to be more faithful, long-term dog owners.

Many decisions are yet to be made, (big? little? what kind of breed? puppy? full-grown?) so I have a bit longer to fully embrace the idea of dealing with dog hair loving a dog. The only solid fact that has surfaced is that Lauryn wants a dog she can name Princess. Not gonna happen.

Anyone reformed readers out there, who were once dog-neutral and are now dog-lovers? Any hope for me?

Blogger dwcliff had this to say:

You can definitely get a dog that is great with kids and even a dog that doesn't shed....but can't help you with that poop in the back yard thing.

January 24, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Zoe was the perfect kid-friendly dog. We had her for nearly 9 years. I really miss her still. But I can't imagine starting all over with a puppy and training them again. Training my kids is a little overwhelming to me most days. But I do love dogs...Just want another Zoe-dog though. And I don't think that's likely to happen!

January 25, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Blogger Vanessa had this to say:

I am NOT a dog person but my husband finally convinced me to get a dog. I'll be honest some days I wish I had never caved, but there is no way I could get rid of her now - I love her and I never thought I would say that about a dog. I don't love any other dog though - just to be clear! However, I strongly, strongly recommend looking into a dog that does not shed - we didn't - BIG mistake! That is the one thing that absolutely drives me crazy about having a dog - her hair appears everywhere! I will say watching my two year old and my dog play with each other, chase each other and sit calmly together (rarely) is absolutely worth having a dog!

January 25, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Anonymous Meghan had this to say:

I never had a dog growing up. I think the largest animal I had was a guinea pig. When I got married my husband wanted a dog and of course a free, super cute puppy appeared and there was no way I could say no. Before I knew it, I was the one who got a second puppy as a surprise for my husband. I LOVE my pups. I can't imagine our house without them. Definitely give it a shot - They'll change your cold heart. :)

January 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Blogger Gonzo! had this to say:

I love so much, the dog. I have one of those dogs that everyone is scared of. She behaves like that mean looking dog that Cesar Millan has. She is just scary looking thats all. Kinda like me, or so I am told.

Check out this website it is the Purina dog selector, it helped us pick out the dog, although we did not want the dog that it suggested we got it, and it has been perfect for us.

It could also help you if the dog is not a full breed dog. Hope this helps.

January 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Wow...I have a similar post I've been meaning to write for some time now. Maybe I'll just copy/paste yours. Hehe! I was actually dog neutral, but am now leaning more and more against the idea of getting Eric's beloved hunting dog. Good luck. I'm sure that once you finally spend the time researching and then committing yourself to a dog, you'll love it!!

January 26, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Blogger Terisa had this to say:

Hey lady - you know you can count on me!!! I've had lots of experiences with dogs and would love to share ideas on breeds etc. based on what you all desire.

January 27, 2009 at 10:52 PM

OpenID rachellarkin had this to say:

I'm a reformer! there is hope. Our dog is now 11 years old and we are facing are last years with him! I'm gonna miss him like crazy, and we are already thinking another dog will be entering the family soon! Hang on through this, as annoying as they can be, cuz lets be honest the fur on your clothes you never really warm up to, they are truly "man/womans best friend"...our dog has grown to be just like one of the family. And our kids love him too! You'll love it once you make the plunge and get through the house training...PS The dog whisperer stuff doesn't ever work for my dog, but good luck with that!

January 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Blogger StephCliff had this to say:

I think Boxers are a good breed. My sister has one & he is a sweetheart. He's very good with other dogs & children. And he doesn't seem to shed much.

I love the Dog Whisperer! I want him to come live with us. :)

January 28, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Blogger The Gobble's (Lanetta) had this to say:

ok.. so did I tell you that Madison died??? The neighbors dogs killed her a year ago Thanksgiving :-(
it was so sad...
anyway, this post made me think of her.. and your Gracie... ahhh... your grandma made them those pillows... LOL!! It was so sweet... She so needed great grand kids!!! Is Gracie still around?? Do you remeber us taking pictures with Maddie when she was about the size of our hand... tiny, tiny... We took all these pics of each other and her.. Why??? No idea.. but, it's hilarous now.. I will have to scan them and share the joy with you!!!! Ha ha... I swore I'd never get another inside dog as well.. due to the hair.. but, we do have an outside cat and dog.

January 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM