Sew Much Fun
Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sew sorry. I fully realize that blog title is lame-o. Sew what? Sew sue me. I can't stop.

My friend Danielle and I pulled out our sewing machines this afternoon and had a big ol' time making ourselves some tote bags. And when I say "pulled out our sewing machines," I'm speaking quite literally - Danielle received her machine for a Christmas gift and had yet to pull it out of the box until today.

It was the blind leading the blind as we tried to figure out her machine. Moments of hilarity ensued.

Safe to say neither of us has a future career as a seamstress. Unless there is some bride out there who wouldn't mind her wedding dress having crooked seams and being significantly shorter on one side.

Here is the free pattern we used for our little project. A tote bag made from placemats!

Since we didn't want to pay more to make a tote bag than it would cost just to buy one, we bought our "materials" (placemats!) at Dollar Tree for the low, low price of $1 each.

Here is my creation. Placemats transformed. Ta-da!

First the front side with the handy pocket:

...and the back side, that was also supposed to have a pocket, but doesn't because I underestimated how much fabric I would need:

It frustrates me to see pictures of bags or totes online, and not be able to tell how big they are. So here are a couple shots that will let you better judge the size of the finished project.

Next to a full-sized backpack:

And held by a full-sized three year old:

Sew whatcha think? I'm sorry. I told you I couldn't stop.

Blogger Kelly had this to say:

"sew" impressive! Love it.

September 30, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Hey, I wouldn't even know where to begin if you let me at a sewing machine. I'm SEW seriously impressed.

October 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Blogger Margo had this to say:

I, too, am SEW totally impressed. I don't even OWN a sewing machine! That bag is way cute...you should make more for Christmas presents! And Lauryn is beautiful...so grown up!

October 1, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Blogger Margo had this to say:

I just skimmed the pattern instructions and it was like reading a foreign language to me, which of course, makes me even more impressed by your sewing abilities!!

October 1, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Anonymous Marylne had this to say:

Sew, when do you start taking orders? I would love to be your first customer.........

October 1, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

Sew cute!!

I love them.

....However, this is not enough proof that you can sew to let you sew my wedding dress! Ha ha

October 1, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Great job! I'm always "sew" (everyone else did it) impressed, and quite jealous, when I see such beautiful creations. I desperately need to learn this skill!

October 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Blogger lovemygeorge had this to say:

Very cute! I love the placemat idea for cheap fabric...I always hate it when I spend more money creating something on my own than if I would have just bought it pre-made in the first place! :-) Love the blog too!

October 4, 2008 at 2:54 PM