Remember my post about Rave Hairspray? Here's your proof.
Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My mom emailed me this picture of me and my brother Coe, delivering Uncle Johnny (see previous post) a balloon on his birthday. Coe still lives next door to Johnny and visits him often.

Fifth grade was the year of turtlenecks and printed vests. And tapered jeans with flats. And a slicked backed pony tail with huge poofed bangs. Oh. It's so painful to relive.

You know you had your own awful youthful fashion choices. Spill it in the comments.

Oh My! I can't stop laughing. I think my favorite fashion statement was the stirrup pants with flats. I also loved the unit belts. Oh, and Eskimo Joes shirts (in every color). Which reminds me, ropers (in every color)were too cool for school. If you had a nice pair of pink ropers to match your pink pearl-snap shirt, you were totally cool.

May 22, 2008 at 3:57 AM

Anonymous Marylne had this to say:

Cutoffs were the rage! I will never forget talking my brother into giving me his old jeans so I could cut them off and be 'so cool'. Larry was an easy sale. I had and have a cool older brother. Mom was a harder sale....Running out the door with cutoffs and no shoes, that was the life!

May 22, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Blogger Kelly had this to say:

Oh yes! Unit belts were my thing. Although I only had one that actually came from the Units store, the rest were "homemade" (thank you, mom). I remember desperately trying to make my hair do that "wing" thing on the sides right next to my ears. What do you want to bet that all those 80's styles will be making a new comeback soon. Somehow, those thing will be cool again - you just wait!

Also, loved the post on "Uncle" Johnny. Maybe you can visit him when you come "home" this weekend.

May 22, 2008 at 10:19 AM

I was all about the tight-rolled jeans!

May 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Anonymous Holly James had this to say:

Girl, you are mild. You actually look normal. Those were the days. I do think I have you beat though, take a peek at my wedding pics, hehe. Girl, big hair and thick eyebrows are you kidding me. Although, I have to say, I still think big hair will return sooner than people think. Girl, I'm so there if it does. I can work that hair. HJ

May 22, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Blogger Queen Cash had this to say:

I can't believe no one has mentioned MC HAMMER PANTS!!! I wore them the first day of 7th grade (along with half the other students in school). Absolutely and wonderfully hysterical. I had the bangs too, Starr. Maybe you remember, or were we past that by 8th grade when we met? I don't remember when they went out of style. So funny! Thanks for the trip down memory fashion lane, ladies.

May 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Blogger Big Momma Pimpalishisness had this to say:

Leggings. We wore a lot of neon patterned leggings in my day.

May 27, 2008 at 9:45 AM