"I remember when..."
Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Jonathan and I find ourselves frequently comparing current prices to what things used to cost when we were kids.

$.80 for a donut! I remember when they were $.20 each!

$3.99 for a gallon of milk. Outrageous. Just outrageous.

When I got my driver's license, I would buy the best grade of gas that still came in at under $1.00. Those days are long gone.

$1.89 for a fountain drink! I remember filling up my Squart for free in the summer time!
(Any Oklahoma readers remember the Quiktrip Squart? With the matching red Squart sweater? Kudos to anyone who can find a picture of the Squart online. I tried and failed.)

We have these discussions pretty frequently considering we're only in our early 30's. We'll be so annoying to our grandchildren someday, sitting in our rockers grumbling about the skyrocketing price of cheese.

Anonymous Papaw had this to say:

My last part time job during high school was pumping gas at a 'full service' gas station and we charged $.29 per gallon....and people protested because the newer 'self service' stations only charged $.19 per gallon. "Those were the days!" Papaw proclaimed as he leaned back in his rocking chair.

May 13, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Almost 30 and I find myself grumbling about the whether...."I just can't take the heat. The weather channel said..." Or "Are you sure you don't need a sweater...."

Yes, I'll annoy my grandchildren with kvetching to the weather-girl on the TV.

May 13, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Blogger kelly had this to say:

Do you remember $.29 hamburgers and $.39 cheeseburgers at McDonalds? I do. I guess they started at $.05 a burger, but I am proud to say I am not that old.

May 13, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Blogger Amy had this to say:

I remember FREAKING out when gas was .99...sigh. Those were the good ole days. :)

What about postage? I remember it being less than 30 cents.

May 14, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

I know! I never thought I would be doing this but it so hard not too! I hate pulling into QT and paying $3.59 a gallon. In HS it was 89 cents!

I remember the first time it started getting high (or so we thought)....Here in SS it was $1.16 and our family was on vacation in Florida and I was shocked that gas was $1.31!! LOL.

Oh to have #1.31 again now!

May 16, 2008 at 11:05 AM

OpenID dan had this to say:

I did find a photo of a squart online. This appears to be an original. QuikTrip (at least here in their home town of Tulsa) has started selling squarts again. The new ones are nearly identical, but they have a 50th anniversary logo on them. I bought mine on the day they opened store #500 in Broken Arrow.

July 3, 2008 at 1:37 AM