This Too Shall Pass
Monday, February 11, 2008



I can't tell you how many times Jonathan and I have told Ryan, "You need to be very careful when you play with your Magnetix set. Don't leave any of the pieces out, because it could be very dangerous if Lauryn swallows any of them."

I guess we should have also mentioned it was important that he keep them out of his mouth as well.

Yep. That would be the piece he swallowed. Circled in red, right there in his stomach.

After Ryan frantically confessed that he swallowed a piece, we spent Saturday night at the ER. If not for the magnets on each end of the piece he swallowed, we may have just let nature run it's usual course. But it turns out this toy has some bad history, and after reading this online, we were pretty freaked out. (Excerpt from article: The medical examiner said that the magnets killed a small boy when they pinched his small intestine shut and then wore a hole in the intestine wall, leaking deadly bacteria into his blood stream.)

After the X-rays the Dr. assured us that Ryan would be just fine. The magnets are still firmly encased in their plastic housing. (After injuries were reported, the toy company changed the design ensuring the magnets cannot come out of the casing.) They won't be able to attract to one another and cause any damage. In the Dr's words, "This too shall pass."

Ryan showed us exactly which piece he swallowed. So this is what's floating around somewhere in his gut right now, waiting to make it's grand exit:


Parenting. It's a weird, weird world.






3 Comments:
Blogger kelly had this to say:

We have those same toys at our house, I think I will secretly get rid of them after reading this...ahh!

February 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM 


Blogger Margo had this to say:

Wow! Kyle swallowed a screw once and instead of x-raying him, the doctor ran metal detector over him. It was quite funny, in a way, when the thing started blinking!! I was supposed to watch for it to pass...yeah right! He was already potty-trained!

February 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM 


Blogger Gombojav Tribe had this to say:

Last year Meg swallowed a penny. She was almost six years old for pete's sake!

We were more than a little irritated.

February 13, 2008 at 8:24 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







Cliff Familyt

I'm Starr Cliff. A domestically-challenged mom, climbing over mountains of laundry to bring you my stray observations and amusing stories about my kids. (more)

 







 



  • Crafts
  • Serious Laundry Lady Posts
  • Food
  • Friends
  • Home Management
  • KidMin
  • Speech Language Pathology


  •  



    Design by: soapbox.SUPERSTAR