Thanksgiving: The Forgotten Holiday?
Saturday, November 10, 2007

Okay, last weekend in Lubbock we saw a house that ALREADY HAS CHRISTMAS LIGHTS ON IT. (Then we saw a sign in their yard, advertising a "Christmas Light Installation" company. So maybe if they were just trying to advertise their business I can forgive them for decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving. Maybe.)

Thanksgiving is a great holiday:

In light of all these facts, why oh why are there people who look right past this great holiday and begin the countdown to Christmas in mid-October?

If you are one of those people that put up your Christmas tree before the Thanksgiving Turkey has even been purchased, explain yourself!

Blogger Margo had this to say:

I have wondered about this very thing. What really gets me, also, is when people put up Halloween decorations in the beginning of September. I LOVE Thanksgiving and am very excited to spend it with my extended family this year!

November 10, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Blogger kelly had this to say:

Our Christmas season starts around Thanksgiving. I like to decorate for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving, but Joey's aunt always has her house decked for Christmas when we go over there for Thanksgiving dinner. It makes the Thanksgiving/Christmas season kind of blend into one big happy festive season. It is not that we forget about Thanksgiving, we just see it as the pre-cursor to a fun month of Christmas fun. It does bug me that the Christmas stuff shows up in the stores earlier and earlier though.

November 11, 2007 at 12:25 AM

Christmas doesn't start for us until the first Sunday of Advent. This year that is December 2.

November 12, 2007 at 12:46 AM

We're going to start celebrating the Advent for the first time this year as a family. I just made my list for the candles and things I need to purchase.

November 12, 2007 at 9:06 AM

I love celebrating Advent. It's such a lovely family time in the evenings. It increases our appreciation for Christ's first coming and causes us to look expectantly for His second coming!

I think I'm going to blog about it as we go this year.

November 12, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

I LOVE thanksgiving. I have always loved the family gatherings.

...and nobody makes better dressing/stuffing than my Grandmother!!

November 13, 2007 at 10:21 AM